Jackfruit easily masters the role of pulled pork in these vegan tacos. A sweet, barbecue-based sauce combined with traditional taco spices creates a caramelized, flavorful filling in just 15 minutes.
If you haven’t tried jackfruit yet, now is the time to jump on the bandwagon. The sticky, sweet, taco-y bandwagon. Dinner is served in just fifteen minutes.
Sweet and Sticky “Pulled Pork” Tacos
Serves: 2 (double ingredients for more)
Taco spice (makes more than you need for the recipe, but will be useful for other recipes):
Cumin – 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon
Chili Powder – 1 Tablespoon + 2 Teaspoons
Garlic Powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt – 1/4 Teaspoon
Cayenne – 1/4 Teaspoon
Onion Powder – 1 Teaspoon
Oregano – 1 Teaspoon
Barbecue sauce – 1/2 Cup
Vegenaise – 1/4 Cup
Sweet chili sauce – 1/4 Cup
Young green jackfruit, in brine – 1 Can
(you can find this in Asian markets and in some mainstream grocery stores,
especially if they have international food aisles)
Onion – 1/2 Cup, sliced
1. Prepare taco spice and sauce by mixing the ingredients in two separate bowls.
2. Open can of jack fruit, drain.
3. Rinse well, squeeze as much water as you can out with towel. Repeat 2-3 times.
4. The jackfruit should start pulling apart by now, pull it completely with your fingers to create pulled pork texture. Cut off the hard inner core, if still attached. You can also remove the seeds if you want (there shouldn’t be many).
5. Coat pan with small layer of oil on medium-high heat.
6. When hot, add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
7. Add jackfruit and 2 teaspoons of taco spice, mix well to coat.
8. Cook until onions start to become golden (3 minutes).
9. Reduce heat to medium. Add 3/4 cup sauce and 3 teaspoons taco spice. Mix well.
10. Cook on medium, stirring frequently and adding oil as needed to prevent burning.
11. Filling is done when about 1/4 of the sauce has caramelized (become sticky and hard), about 10 minutes.
12. Fill taco shells with avocado, coleslaw and filling.