It’s getting a little chilly out here, so we’ve decided to come up with a hearty recipe that is both healthy and filling (and freakin’ delicious!). This recipe makes about 14-16 lentil-walnut meatballs, but can also be used for veggie burgers and taco “meat,” if you want, just switch up the seasoning.
2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup cooked eggplant
1/2 cup walnuts (taste good toasted as well!)
1/2 cup vegan breadcrumbs (we just used some old toasted ezekiel bread)
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon chili flakes
2 teaspoons italian seasoning blend (or oregano, parsley, basil, cilantro)
1 tablespoon sea salt (try pink himalayan if you can!)
1 fresh chopped garlic clove
1 tablespoon olive or grapeseed oil for sautéing eggplant and about
1/2 teaspoon for meatball mixture
Blender or food processor
For the eggplant:
1. Slice eggplant, then cut into small pieces.
2. Sauté in pan with a little oil on medium/high heat for 6-8 minutes, or until browned on all sides (the eggplant will shrink a lot)
3. Set aside in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Let cool for a few minutes.
1. Throw chopped garlic cloves, half of the cooked lentils, and half of the cooled eggplant into the blender or food processor.
2. Let pulverize on medium if you have that option, or just pulse it a few times.
3. Add all of the seasoning (it’s safe to taste), add what you like and adjust.
4. Throw the other half of the lentils and eggplant in there.
5. Dump the mixture in a bowl, and add breadcrumbs, mixing with a wooden spoon, so it won’t stick.
6. Form the meatballs into your desired size (this mixture makes about 14-16 pingpong ball sized)
7. Chill the meatballs for 15-20 minutes
8. You can bake the meatballs for 20-25 minutes at 350°F OR Sauté in pan with your oil to brown on each side.
We ate ours with brown rice pasta, but it’s also good with semolina pasta, or zoodles!