Delicate, delicious, and decadent. All words to describe these scones. I wanted to make something simple but also special for Mother’s Day…now I know you just freaked out and checked your calendars, but no worries my American friends. All About Vegan Food is an international blog! Turns out, Mother’s Day in the UK and Ireland is March 15th, which means they need something to make for their mums breakfast in bed! In America (and rest of the world) we can just make them because they’re yummy.
Scones tend to be dry and crumbly, but I prefer them to be a bit sweeter and more moist.
Full disclosure, I redid this recipe three times. THREE. I felt like Goldilocks. Too wet, too dry, just right. You’ll be glad I did
Raspberry Lemon Scones
1 1/4 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking pow
4 TBSP Coconut oil COLD!!!
1/4 c organic sugar + 2 tsp brown sugar (and a little more to sprinkle on top)
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/3 c cashew milk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP lemon zest
1/2c frozen raspberries
3 TBSP coconut milk fat (1 can of full fat coconut milk chilled overnight, and then remove fat from can)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2tsp maple syrup
For Coconut Cream
1. Mix everything together with a whisk until smooth
2. Place in the fridge until ready to use
1. Preheat oven to 420F
2. In a large bowl add flour and baking powder, combine
3. Add the COLD coconut oil into the bowl and mix well with a fork
4. Into the flour, mix in your sugars
5. In another bowl, combine all of your wet ingredients
6. Pour your wet ingredients into the dry and start to stir until everything is just combined
7. Fold in your lemon zest and raspberries to finish your dough
8. On a floured surface, roll or push your dough into a flat rectangle about 1/2inch thick. My rectangle ended up being 5×7 inches
9. Cut your rectangle in half length-wise and then into individual triangles
10. Place your triangles onto a baking sheet, and sprinkle with a little more organic sugar
11. Put your scones on a TOP RACK in your oven and bake for 12 minutes
12. Remove scones from the oven, and let them cool for a minute (the raspberries get very hot)
13. Serve with your Coconut Cream, and ENJOY!!!!!!
Any mum would be happy to get these little bundles of sweetness on her day!
Hope you all like em!