If you are you tired of buying processed granola for your breakfast or snacks, I suggest you to make your own. It’s probably one of the easiest things to make. It’s also a great source of proteins and fiber and of course this one will be preservative-free, refined sugar-free and dairy-free – in other words, much healthier. I promise you’ll be proud to show it off!
This recipe is quite basic: it’s a chocolate granola but you can always choose to improve it and use your creativity to make your own unique: It’s totally up to you to add ingredients or replace some if you’re not 100% satisfied with this basis. You may want to give a fruity touch to your granola by adding dried fruits such as dates, raisins, apricots or cranberries. Adding ripe bananas can be a good idea too if you want to make it even more nourishing, not to mention the sweet flavor that it would
In fact, the possibilities are endless, so let the fun begin!
Crunchy Chocolate Granola
200g nuts (Use what you have at home! I used almonds here)
80g chocolate chips (or dark chocolate, chopped)
100g grated coconut
160g agave syrup
160g coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients: oats, nuts, chocolate chips, grated coconut.
3. In a sauce pan, cook on low heat the agave syrup and coconut oil until completely melt.
4. Pour it in the bowl and stir until all the dry ingredients are coated with the syrup blend. You should obtain a sticky mixture by now.
5. Place the mixture on a baking sheet and spread it out flat (approximately 1cm thick)
6. Bake for 20 to 25 min. (Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn!)
7. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
8. Make it crumble and store in a jar up to 2 months.
* I usually combine this granola with almond milk or a smoothie for breakfast, but I also love to sprinkle it over vegan ice cream for a decadent snack!